Here’s a recipe for Motichur Ladoo, a delicious Indian sweet:
Ingredients: For the boondi:
- 1 cup gram flour (besan)
- 1/4 cup water
- A pinch of orange food color (optional)
- Oil or ghee for deep frying
For the sugar syrup:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- A few saffron strands (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts (such as almonds, pistachios, cashews)
- Ghee or melted butter for greasing hands
- Boondi preparation:
- In a mixing bowl, combine the gram flour and water to make a smooth batter. The consistency should be thin, similar to dosa batter.
- If desired, add a pinch of orange food color to the batter and mix well.
- Heat oil or ghee in a deep frying pan over medium heat.
- Hold a perforated ladle or a boondi ladle over the hot oil and pour some batter onto it.
- Tap the ladle gently to allow small drops of batter to fall into the oil. Fry the boondis until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the fried boondis using a slotted spoon and drain excess oil on a paper towel.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter until all the boondis are fried.
- Sugar syrup preparation:
- In a saucepan, combine the sugar and water. Heat the mixture over medium heat until the sugar dissolves completely.
- Add saffron strands (if using) and cardamom powder to the sugar syrup and let it simmer for a few minutes until it reaches a slightly sticky consistency.
- Remove the sugar syrup from heat and keep it warm.
- Ladoo assembly:
- Transfer the fried boondis into a mixing bowl. Break any large clusters with a spoon or your hands.
- Pour the warm sugar syrup over the boondis and mix well until they are evenly coated.
- Let the mixture rest for 5-10 minutes, allowing the boondis to absorb the sugar syrup.
- Grease your hands with ghee or melted butter.
- Take a small portion of the boondi mixture in your greased hands and shape it into a round ladoo. Press firmly to bind the mixture together.
- Repeat the process with the remaining boondi mixture.
- Garnish the Motichur Ladoo with chopped nuts. You can press the nuts gently onto the surface of each ladoo.
- Allow the Motichur Ladoo to cool completely before serving.
- Store the ladoos in an airtight container. They can be stored at room temperature for up to a week.
Enjoy these delightful Motichur Ladoos as a festive treat or as a sweet indulgence anytime!